The building of the church

The next step was to build the Church on a site donated by the Sawyers.  The Bishop of Oxford procured grants and money was gradually raised, including generous donations from Mr Walter of Bearwood and the Master of Wellington College.  The Church of St Sebastian's was built and consecrated on 10th December 1864.  The school was built approximately 6 years later with major contributions from another notable local, the Palmers, who lived at Heathlands nearby.  The Sawyers' involvement in pastoral care continued with Mrs Sawyer bringing in children for baptism and their daughter assisting in the formation of the first choir.


Our history
Webpage icon Introduction
Webpage icon History of the parish
Webpage icon The Sawyer family
Webpage icon The choice of name
Webpage icon The formation of the new parish
Webpage icon The church building
Webpage icon Leaders of the church
Webpage icon Finally