The church building

The original church was a simple barn shape designed by William Butterfield, later the architect of Keble College, Oxford.  Additions to the building in 1885 included a new vestry, pulpit, bell tower, oak eagle lectern and stained glass window on the south side of the church.  The oak choir stalls, with carvings relating to St Sebastian, were installed in 1887 and financed by the incumbent, Rev Carr.

 

In 1926 many changes took place to the church.  Stained glass windows were added and the altar was enlarged.  The very fine organ was bought in 1947 from a local house and the organ room built.

 

 

The most recent extension was in 1983 to house the large congregations at family services.  The stained glass window of St Sebastian was moved into its current position.


Our history
Webpage icon Introduction
Webpage icon History of the parish
Webpage icon The Sawyer family
Webpage icon The building of the church
Webpage icon The choice of name
Webpage icon The formation of the new parish
Webpage icon Leaders of the church
Webpage icon Finally