The Sawyer family

The Sawyers moved into a large house at St Sebastian's, which they renamed Ravenswood.  The commitment and dedication of this family were central to the conversion to Christianity of the heathen Broomdashers.  In 1862 Major Sawyer gave up a cottage on the estate to form a small day school; no child was allowed to go to school unless they also went to worship on a Sunday afternoon.  The Bishop of Oxford gave Major Sawyer permission to read Evensong and later he received assistance from the vicar of All Saints.


Our history
Webpage icon Introduction
Webpage icon History of the parish
Webpage icon The building of the church
Webpage icon The choice of name
Webpage icon The formation of the new parish
Webpage icon The church building
Webpage icon Leaders of the church
Webpage icon Finally